Unversity of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, Oradea, str. Universitatii, nr.3-5, Romania
Nowadays we witness a steady increase in the appearance of all kinds of technological equipments that can help us, teachers as well as students, that improve our work in class. We are living in a world dominated by the constant appearance of all kinds of technological inventions which contribute, more or less, to the way English as a foreign language is taught nowadays. The learning tools for teaching English have constantly been subject to innovation. The situation is the same when talking about a sensitive issue that is represented by mastering the language of Business English. During recent years the necessity of vocabulary teaching has gained more and more importance and, as a consequence, the appearance of all kinds of methods regarding teaching vocabulary has been subject to different debates between teachers of Business English. Vocabulary acquisition is utmost important since, in order to communicate fluently and accurately in a foreign language, mastering a large number of words and moreover mastering a large vocabulary in a certain domain, in our case the field of Business English, represents a necessary step. The appearance of different kinds of technological “helpers” has made our work way easier than it used to be just a couple of years before.
In order to gain fluency and efficiency in speaking a foreign language, teachers have to make use of the technological devices that seem to be extremely attractive to students and their use seems to be somehow a key to success. The aim of the present paper is to throw some light on more efficient and entertaining ways of teaching Business English to students of Economics, dealing with different Business English related materials. The role of the teacher, the need of supportive materials and the necessity of having a possible logical alternative to learning have also been analyzed throughout the paper. The process of teaching as well as the process of learning can be undergone with the help of some attractive technological inventions, which seem to be more and more fashionable. The diversity of the learning activities can help us enhance and expand our knowledge of the most commonly used Business English vocabulary, grammatical structures and to develop the specific language skills. The emerging technology does not undermine the traditional ways of teaching a foreign language. On the contrary, it comes as an element that supports and completes this complex process of teaching and acquiring a foreign language. Our experience proves that the use of technology in teaching Business English has led to more interesting, more dynamic and more challenging classes. Thus, in our digital world, where everything is controlled and dominated by the Internet and constant appearance of newer and smarter technological inventions, their contribution to the methods of Business language teaching is undeniable.
teaching, technology, language, tools
- Asher J. , James, D., Learning Another Language Through Actions, Los Gatos, 1982;
- Constantinescu, A.I., Using Technology to Assist in Vocabulary Acquisition and Reading Comprehension. The Internet TESL Journal, 13(2), ;
- Davies, G., Hewer, S. Introduction to New Technologies and How They Can Contribute to Language Learning and Teaching, Thames Valley University, 2012;
- Hoven, D., A Model for Listening and Viewing Comprehension in Multimedia Environments. Language Learning &Technology, 1999;
- Kenworthy, R.C., Developing Writing Skills in a Foreign Language Via the Internet;
- Saricoban, A., The Teaching of Listening, The Internet TESL Journal, 1999;
- Sharma, P. Controversies in Using Technology in Language Teaching, Widener University Press, 2009;
- Solanki, D., Use of Technology in English Language Teaching and Learning: An Analysis, IACSIT Press, Singapore, 2012;
- Tafani V., Teaching English Through Mass Media, Acta Didactica, Napocensia, 2009.