University of Žilina – Faculty of Management Science and Informatics – Department of the Macro and Microeconomics, Univerzitná 8215/1,010 26 Žilina, Slovak Republic
The financial literacy belongs to the key competencies of the modern society members and its importance growths every day. This paper presents results of the financial literacy research among the university students of the different fields of study. The survey covers both forms of study, means the full-time study and as well the part-time study. We obtained the data through a questionnaire survey conducted simultaneously at five universities in Czech Republic and Slovakia. In this survey, we have found out some of the personality characteristics of the participants, and further, they solved common problems in the area of the financial decision making. The aim of the research was to verify whether the everyday practical experience of part-time students has a positive impact on their financial literacy when compared with the full-time students. In this context, we have also distinguished between economic and technical studies. Applying the statistical analysis methods, we have not only confirmed our expectations, but this analysis also revealed several remarkable findings.
Financial literacy, questionnaire survey, personality characteristics
- Giesler, M., Veresiu, E. (2014) Creating the Responsible Consumer: Moralistic Governance Regimes and Consumer Subjectivity. Journal of Consumer Research, 41(3), pp. 840–857. https://doi.org/10.1086/677842
- Kozubík,A., Kozubíková,Z., Polák, J. (2018) Financial Literacy of Full-time and Part-time University Students. Proceedings of ADVED 2018 – 4th International Conference on Advances in Education and Social Sciences, 15 – 17 October 2018, Istanbul, Turkey. pp. 18 – 26.
- Kozubíková, Z. (2015) Financial literacy as an important objective of the education in economics. Proceedings of Knowledge for Market Use 2015 – women in business in the past and present. International scientific conference, Olomouc, Czech Republic, pp. 429 – 439. ISBN 978-80-87533-12-3.
- Kozubíková, Z. (2017) Analysis of The Impact of Economic Education on The Level of Financial Literacy. Proceedings of Knowledge for Market Use 2017: People in Economics – Decisions, Behavior and Normative Models. International scientific conference, Olomouc, Czech Republic, pp. 932 – 938.
- Kozubíková, Z. (2018) On the durability of knowledge in financial and investment decision making. Proceedings of Knowledge for market use 2018 – public finances in the background of sustainable development. International scientific conference, Olomouc, Czech Republic, pp. 197 – 203.
- Lusardi, A.,Oggero ,N., Yakoboski, P. J. (2017) The TIAA Institute/GFLEC Personal Finance Index: A New Measure of Financial Literacy. TIAA Institute, New York. doi:10.13140/RG.2.2.13425.68962.
- Mandell, L. (2007) Financial literacy of high school students. In J.J. Xiao (Ed.), Handbook of Consumer Finance Research, pp. 163 – 183. New York, NY: Springer.
- OECD & INFE (2011) Measuring Financial Literacy: Core Questionnaire in Measuring Financial Literacy: Questionnaire and Guidance Notes for conducting Internationally Comparable Survey of Financial literacy. Paris: OECD.
- Rybička, J., Kozubík, A. (2017) Self-reflection of the University students in financial literacy. Proceedings of Knowledge for Market Use 2017: People in economics – decisions, behavior and normative models. International scientific conference, Olomouc, Czech Republic, pp. 682 – 693.