Cristina Gabriela Mihailescu
Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Piața Romană 6, București 010374, Romania
The paper elaborates on the current state of the mentoring practices within the Romanian banking industry and elaborates on the gaps to use them to build a competitive advantage. The analysis focuses on the particular situation defined by traditionalist and conservationist approaches of facts, and their relation with the new coaching and mentoring methods that need to be developed by banking institutions to get the competitive advantage (Ilies & Metz, 2017).
The results of the case study presented show that mentors and mentees valued the opportunity to participate in such programs and the relationship (Raabe & Beehr, 2003) developed inside the “team”; nevertheless, the final results are still in suffering as there are major expectations that have not been satisfied. The loss is quite important as the linked to a large area from the program methodology to the outcome of the programs.
The findings, based on a personal interpretation of facts, documentation and respondents’ answers, suggest that properly implemented and used, the activity of mentoring could become a powerful tool for the companies in their attempt to turn out to be more competitive; the contribution could be significant to increasing the staff potential, building loyalty, ensuring engagement and reducing the costs.
banking; mentoring; career development; competitiveness; competitive advantage
- Allen, T.D.; Russell, J.E.A.; Maetzke, S.B (1997): Formal Peer Mentoring, Factors Related to Proteges’ Satisfaction and Willingness to Mentor Others, Group & Organization Management Journal, Vol. 22 (4): 20, pp: 488-507, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1059601197224005.
- Chun, J.U., Litzky, B.E., Sosik, J.J., Bechtold, D.C., Godshalk, V.M., (2010) Emotional Intelligence and Trust in Formal Mentoring Programs, Group & Organization Management: An International Journal, Volume 35 (4), pp: 421-455, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1059601110378293.
- Egan, T.M., (2011), Key Intersections between HRD and management”, Human Resource Development Quarterly, Vol. 22 (2), pp: 223-234, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264720509_Key_Intersections_Between_HRD_and_Management.
- Forret, Monica, (1996), Issues facing organizations when implementing formal mentoring programmes, Leadership & Organization Development Journal, Volume 17 (3), pp. 27-30, https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/01437739610116966.
- Gisbert-Trejo, N., Landeta, J. A, Bizn, E., Fernandez-Ferri, P, Alternative mentoring: an HRD key for a rapid changing work environment, Human Resources Management International Digest, Vol. 26 (1):3, pp: 4-6, https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/HRMID-05-2017-0096.
- Ilies, L., Metz, D., (2017), Influence of the Human Resources Practices on the Employees Attachment. Empirical Study within the Companies in the Processing Industry, Management and Economics Review,Vol.2, Issue 2, pp: 183-195
- Janssen, S., Vuuren, M., Jong, M.D.T, (2016): Informal Mentoring at Work: A Review and Suggestions for Future Research, International Journal of Management Reviews, Volume 18 (4), pp: 498-517, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ijmr.12069 .
- Jihyun C., Taesung K., (2018), Looking at Organizational Socialization from the Developmental Network Perspective, The Journal of Asian Finance, Economics and Business Vol.5 No.3 pp.195-206 DOI: https://doi.org/10.13106/jafeb.2018.vol5.no3.195.
- Kraiger, K., Finkelstein, L.M., Varghese, L.S., (2018), Enacting Effective Mentoring Behaviors: Development and Initial Investigation of the Cuboids of Mentoring, Journal of Business and Psychology, Journal of Business and Psychology, DOI: 10.1007/s10869-018-9551-z, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326085040_Enacting_Effective_Mentoring_Behaviors_Development_and_Initial_Investigation_of_the_Cuboid_of_Mentoring.
- Kram, K., (1985), Mentoring at Work: Developmental Relationships in organizational Life, Foresman, Glenview, IL. Scott, https://www.scirp.org/(S(351jmbntvnsjt1aadkposzje))/reference/ReferencesPapers.aspx?ReferenceID=147991.
- Maghbouli N, Moghadas F, Babaei L, Beigy M., (2017), The Association of Temperament and Character of Mentors/Mentees with Satisfying Formal Mentoring of First-Year Medical Students, Thrita, Vol.6(1), e46241, doi: 10.5812/thrita.46241, https://thritajournal.com/en/articles/56290.html.
- Menges, Ch., (2016), Toward Improving the Effectiveness of Forma Mentoring Programs: Matching by Personality Matters, Group and Organizational Management: An International Journal, Volume 41 (1), pp: 98-129, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1059601115579567.
- Nicholson, B.A., Pollock, M., Ketcham, C.J., Fitz Gibbon, H.M., Bradley, E.D., Bata, M., (2017), Beyond the Mentor-Mentee Model: A Case for Multi-Mentoring in Undergraduate Research, Development and Implementation of an Effective Graduate Student Mentoring Program in Support of Undergraduate Research Experiences, PURM 6.1Letter from the Guest Editor, PURM 6.1
- Ragins, B.R, Cotton, J. (1999), Mentor Functions and Outcomes: A Comparison of Men and Women in Formal and Informal Mentoring Relationships, Journal of Applied Psychology, 84(4), pp: 529-550, https://www.bu.edu/sph/files/2012/01/Ragins_Mentor-functions-and-outcomes.pdf.
- Raabe, B., Beehr T.A., (2003), Formal mentoring versus supervisor coworker relationships: differences in perceptions and impact J. Organiz. Behav.Vol.24, pp: 271–293, Wiley, InterScience, doi: 10.1002/job.193.
- Sullivan M.M., (1993), Mentoring in the Military: A Preliminary Study of Gender Differences, Topical Research Intern, LCDR, US Naval Academy, https://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/mentor/mentors.htm
- Scandura, T.A., (1992), Mentorship and Career mobility; an empirical investigation, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol. 13, pp: 169-174, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/job.4030130206.
- Wiseman, L., (2014), Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work, Harper Collins, https://www.amazon.com/Rookie-Smarts-Learning-Beats-Knowing/dp/B00NBC3M0Y.
- Asociația Română a Băncilor, (2017), Impactful economic şi social al sistemului bancar în România, PWC, https://www.arb.ro/wp-content/uploads/Studiu-Impactul-economic-si-social-al-bancilor-in-Romania.cpptx_.pdf.
- BNR, (2017), Raport asupra stabilității financiare, Publicații periodice, May, 2(3), https://www.bnr.ro/Publicatii-periodice-204.aspx.
- DOP, (2008), Mentoring Model Revised, What it workplace mentoring? https://docplayer.net/26333605-What-it-workplace-mentoring.html.
- PWC – Anastasiu, M., (2016), Rentabilitatea capitalului uman în companiile private din România s-a îmbunătăţit cu peste 12%, potrivit studiului PwC Saratoga 2016, https://www.pwc.ro/en/press_room/assets/2016/Comunicat%20de%20presa%20PwC_Saratoga%202016_final.pdf.
- Toastmasters International, (2012), Building the B.E.S.T. Mentoring Relationships, How to Build a Successful Club Mentoring Program Developing Leaders through Shared Experience, The Mentoring Guide Series, Module 4, https://docplayer.net/24431893-Module-4-building-the-b-e-s-t-mentoring-relationships.html.