Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Tirana University, Tirana, Albania
In this paper were presented concentration and distribution of organochlorine pesticides, their residues and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) in soil samples from Myzeqeja area. This area is located in South-West central Albania. Myzeqeja field is the main agricultural area in Albania. It is known for elevated agricultural activity after Second War until now. In the past the main parts of Myzeqeja field have been a wetland. Firstly, DDT and other organochlorine pesticides were used in this area against malaria vector and after that for agricultural purposes. In this area use of organochlorine pesticides continued until 90’. PCBs weren’t in use in Albania but they were reported in many ecosystems because of atmospheric depositions. Organochlorine pollutants have high stability, high bioaccumulation capacity and the ability to spread out of the application site. Generally these compounds are difficult to degrade. In the soil or sediment the speed of their degradation is lower.
Fourteen soil samples were selected in agricultural areas that are in use from local farmers. Sampling was realized in March 2018. In the analytical method were combined ultrasonic bath extractions, acid hydrolyze and a Florisil column for samples clean-up. The analysis of the organochlorine pesticides and PCB in soil samples was performed by gas chromatography technique using electron capture detector (GC/ECD). Rtx-5 (30m x 0.33mm x 0.25μm) capillary column was used for simultaneous determination of organochlorine pesticides and PCB. The highest levels of chlorinated pollutants in study areas were found for organochlorine pesticides because of their previous uses for agricultural purposes. Methoxychlor, Endrin Keton and Mirex were the most frequently detected pesticides for all samples. Volatile PCBs were found in higher concentrations because of their atmospheric origin. Found levels were higher / comparable with reported studies for other agricultural areas in Albania.
Myzeqeja, Organoclorined pesticides, PCBs, soil samples, GC/ECD
- Anonymous, (1994) “Environment Quality Standards for Soil Pollution”, Government of Japan, Ministry of Environment, https://www.env.go.jp/en/water/soil/sp.html
- Anonymous, (1998) “Generic Criteria for Soils and Ground waters”, Soil Protection and Contaminated Sites Rehabilitation Policy, Quebec,
- Anonymous (2009) Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Guideline values for contaminated land, report 5976, https://www.naturvardsverket.se/Documents/publikationer/978-91620-5976-7.pdf?pid=3574
- Erickson, M.D. (1986) Analytical chemistry of PCBs. Boston: Butterworth Publishers. General Electric Company (1995) Letter from Stephen B. Hamilton, Jr., to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Section 8(e) Coordinator, October 10, 1995.
- Fernandez-Alvarez M, Llompart M, Lamas JP, Lores M, Garcia-Jares C, Cala R, Dagnac T (2008) Simultaneous determination of traces of pyrethroids, organochlorines and other main plant protection agents in agricultural soils by headspace solid-phase microextraction-gas chromatography. J Chromatogr A 1188: 154–163. doi: 10.1016/j.chroma.2008.02.080
- Gaw SK, Wilkins AL, Kim ND, Palmer GT, Robinson P (2006) Trace elements and DDT concentrations in horticultural soils from the Tasman, Waikato and Auckland regions of New Zealand. Sci. Total Environ 355:31–47. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.02.020
- Hildebrandt A, Lacorte S, Barceló D (2009) Occurrence and fate of organochlorinated pesticides and PAH in agricultural soils from the Ebro river basin. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 57:247–255.
- ISO 10382:2002, Soil quality -Determination of organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls – Gas-chromatographic method with electron capture detection
- Kim, M., Kim, S., Yun, S., Lee, M., Cho, B., Park, J., Son, S., Kim, O., (2004) Comparison of seven indicator PCBs and three coplanar PCBs in beef, pork, and chicken fat. Chemosphere 54 (10), 1533–1538.
- Muir, D. and Sverko, E., (2006) Analytical methods for PCBs and organochlorine pesticides in environmental monitoring and surveillance: a critical appraisal. Trends Anal. Chem., 386, 769.
- Nuro A. and Marku E., (2011), “Determination of Organochlorinated Pesticides and their Residues in soil samples of Albania agricultural areas” Proceeding book of Conference: “Chemistry and development of Albania” ISBN: 978-99956-10-41-8, Fq 211-216, Tirana, Albania
- Nuro A.and Marku E., (2012) “Study of Organchlorinated pollutants in Sediments of North Albania” International Journal of Ecosystems and Ecology Sciences (IJEES), Vol 2, Issue 1, Fq. 15-20
- Schepens, P.J., Covaci, A., Jorens, P.G., Hens, L., Scharpe, S., van Larebeke, N., (2001) Surprising findings following a Belgian food contamination with polychlorobiphenyls and dioxins. Environ. Health Perspect. 109, 101–103.
- Shayler H., McBride M., Harrison E. (2009) “Sources and Impacts of Contaminants in the Soil”, Cornell Waste Managemant Institue, Ithaca.