University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Agriculture, Novi Sad, Serbia
University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Sciences, Novi Sad, Serbia
Agriculture represents one of the main sources of water pollution, but it is also a significant user of canal water resources through irrigation. In order to prevent and reduce environmental pollution, it is essential to conduct the continuous monitoring of water quality using cultivated plants as phytoindicators. The assessment of possibly use of canal water for irrigation and determination of appropriate phytoindicator was conducted in bioassay using lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) and radish (Raphanus sativus L.) as test plants. The analyzed (physico-chemical parameters) samples of canal waters was taken from two localities in Vojvodina Province, Serbia (Kovilj and Sirig). Physiological and morphological parameters of the test plants were used for evaluation of water quality by method ISTA (2013) and according to the Regulations on the seed quality for agricultural plants in Serbia. Results for physiological parameters are expressed in percentages. The values of morphological parameters are expressed as average values and are processed using the ANOVA and LSD test, with confidence interval of 95%. The obtained results indicate differences in tolerance of the test plants towards the quality of water. Physiological parameters (germination energy and germination) are not appropriate indicators of water quality. Morphological traits such as length of root can be considered more reliable, which reacted in inhibition, depending on water quality.
water, pollutants, monitoring, phytoindicators, lettuce, radish
- Anonimus (1998): Kvalitet voda. Sl. List SRJ, 42/1998.
- Bauder, T.A., Waskom, R.M., Sutherland, P.L and Davis, J.G. (2014): Irrigation Water Quality Criteria. Colorado State University, 1-5.
- Pravilnik o kvalitetu semena poljoprivrednog bilja.„Sl. list SFRJ”, br. 47/87, 60/87, 55/88 i 81/89 i “Sl. list SRJ”, br. 16/92, 8/93, 21/93, 30/94, 43/96, 10/98, 15/2001 i 58/2002.
- Uredba o graničnim vrednostima zagađujućih materija u površinskim i podzemnim vodama i sedimentu (Službeni glasnik RS, br. 50/2012).
- Uredba o graničnim vrednostima prioritetnih i prioritetnih hazardnih supstanci (Službeni glasnik RS, br. 35/2011).