This paper is the part of research project for young researchers no. I-18-104-00 “Environmental issues and development in transitive economies with high water intensity”
University of Economics in Bratislava, Dolnozemská cesta 1, 852 35 Bratislava, Slovakia
Water intensive production is a big challenge for economic and environmental problems in post-soviet transitive economies. Intensity of water consumption differs among the geographical regions of targeted region. The purpose of this paper is to analyze the regional inequalities of water consumption in Ukraine as one of post-soviet republic. To examine water resources issues in targeted country, basic mathematical and statistical tools are applied. In order to examine the sustainability of water consumption by social and environmental factors, we take into account all the administrative units of the country under review and conduct a comparative analysis.
water resources, water stress indices, transitive economy, Ukraine
- Brown, A., Matlock, M. D. (2011) A review of water scarcity indices and methodologies. White paper 106.
- Falkenmark, M., Lundqvist, J., Widstrand, C. (1989). Macro‐scale water scarcity requires micro‐scale approaches. Natural resources forum, 4 (13), pp. 258-267.
- Freedman, A. A. (2012) Modeli ekonomicheskovo upravlenija vodnymi resursami. Vysshaja shkola ekonomiki, Moscow. 288 p.
- Gress, M. (2010) Populácia v rozvojových krajinách. Ekonom, Bratislava, 57 p.
- Kunychka, M., Orlando, L., Raneta, L. (2017). Water Intensive Economy and Environmental issues in the Post-Soviet Transition Country. International Journal of Ecology & Development, 32(2), pp. 81-94.
- Ministry of ecology and Natural resources of Ukraine (2014): National report on the state of environment in Urkraine in 2014. pp. 52-95.
- Raskin, P. et al. (1997) Water futures: assessment of long-range patterns and problems. Comprehensive assessment of the freshwater resources of the world. Environment Institute, Stockholm.
- Russo, T., Alfredo, K., Fisher, J. (2014) Sustainable water management in urban, agricultural, and natural systems. Water, 6(12), pp. 3934-3956.
- Sullivan, C. A., Meigh, J. R., Giacomello, A. M. (2003) The water poverty index: development and application at the community scale. Natural resources forum, 27(3), pp. 189-199.
- Vinogradov, S. (1996) Transboundary water resources in the former Soviet Union: between conflict and cooperation. Natural Resources Journal, pp. 393-415.
- Vystavna, Y.Y., Grynenko, V.V. (2007) Ocinka stijkosti vodokorystuvanna v regionach Ukrajiny, Kommunalnoje chozajstvo gorodov, pp. 155-163.